The Adventures of Mo eBook – Free Book for Teachers
What’s it about?
This free geography book for the classroom follows the journey of a dog named Mo and a bird named Finchy as they travel to every state in the country in search of Florida so that they can return a lost key to its rightful owner. In every state they visit, they experience a different adventure while learning more about that state from the lovable and unusual animals or creatures they meet along the way!
Help us fund this free program for kids.
Free Resource for Teachers
The Adventures of Mo (Mo) is a free online geography program for children that includes:
- An eBook by the same name composed of 50 different chapters or adventure stories with a primary focus on US geography and history. Each chapter can help educators at elementary schools or middle schools reinforce or expand classroom lessons related to state geography, history, and cardinal or compass directions. This is a fun, creative and relevant way for kids to learn about how our country was formed and cultural landscape has developed!
- One unique blog post for each of the 50 states that focuses on historical events, important and interesting information, and also funny, strange or weird state facts. Students can use these blog posts as a resource when doing homework or completing other assignments involving US geography and history.
- Videos for kids, by kids where children share interesting facts about their home state or one they have visited.
- Classroom or Zoom presentations by the author. These discussions are intended to activate kids’ imaginations by incorporating and exploring fun and important events related to geography and history.
As a free book for teachers about geography, The Adventures of Mo is versatile. Here are a few examples of how Mo can be used in your classroom:
These concepts might include cardinal directions.
Questions to consider:
- In which direction did Mo and Finchy travel to get from Nevada to Wisconsin?
- Name at least two states that are south or east of Michigan.
Engaging questions might include:
- What did you learn about the state that Mo and Finchy just visited?
- What famous rivers, mountains, or landmarks are in the state that Mo and Finchy are now visiting?
This free online children’s book is chock full of facts and information. Content about geography and history ranges from important historical events and key attractions to unique fun facts about every US state!
Consider reading a chapter of Mo aloud and then ask students to identify which state Mo & Finchy are visiting based on the clues in each chapter.
We live in the digital age, which is why this free children’s book for teachers about geography and history is online. Consider these key benefits:
- Universal Access: Since free classroom books can be easily accessed 24/7, they can’t get lost, don’t need to be carried in overstuffed backpacks to and from school, or can’t be eaten or destroyed by the family dog (no, not you, Mo!).
- Guided Reading: As a teacher, you may opt to use this free children’s book for the classroom to supplement your geography, history or social studies lessons. Likewise, Mo may also motivate students to read more and develop critical reading skills and habits – either individually or in groups – that they can build upon and apply throughout their lives.
- Classroom Flexibility: Not all free books for teachers offer as much instructional flexibility as Mo does. Students can apply their newfound knowledge of geography to track the main characters across the country, guess the state they’re visiting based on clues in each chapter, learn more about the geography or history of each state, or discuss valuable childhood lessons presented in many of the chapters.
- Fun Experience: As a free classroom ebook, Mo can be a valuable resource for the whole class. Students become engaged in each chapter, each adventure, without realizing the behind-the-scenes learning that’s taking place. Mo can serve as an effective classroom tool that can help turn traditional classroom lessons into more interactive and fun learning experiences!
If you’re an elementary school teacher, a homeschool teacher for early readers, or any other type of educator, The Adventures of Mo can serve as a valuable classroom tool that can help turn traditional classroom lessons into educational and entertaining experiences.